Family Friendly Censorship
(Sent to the Towanda Daily Review on 6/8/96, printed on 6/23/96.)
Editor: River City is in trouble once again. According to Focus on the Family (FF), and the American Family Association (AFA), our public libraries contain, according to the AFA's organizing letter, "bestiality, gang rape, sexual promiscuity, masturbation, homosexuality, incest, sodomy, etc." So I rushed down to the library -- for investigative purposes only -- to see if their accusations are correct, and to my complete surprise, not only are they correct, but cannibalism, sexual mutilation of corpses, and senseless murders can be added to the list.
It is now obvious why FF and the AFA have a program to transform our libraries from the smut and pornography havens they appear to have become, into "Family Friendly Libraries (FFL)." According to Phil Burress, one of the cofounders of FFL, "Right to read? It's a bunch of hogwash. You don't have the right to read anything you want. We have to protect each other from dangerous material." One of FFL's primary goals, from their first conference in 10/95, is to protect "children from harmful material."
For proper evaluation, I will present some of this harmful material, so if you're under eighteen, please read no further.
- David wanted to marry Saul's daughter, Michal. However David was not on the top of Saul's list as a prospective son-in-law, so Saul made it known to David that the only offering he would accept was 100 foreskins from Saul's enemies, the Philistines. "David and his men went out and killed two hundred Philistines. He brought back their foreskins and presented them to the king . . ." Michal became Mrs. David. (1 Samuel 18:24-27 NIV).
- Two girls get their father, Lot, drunk, then have sex with and become impregnated by him. (Genesis 22:30-38).
- "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." (Ezekiel 23:19-21).
- Onan is required to marry and impregnate his widowed sister-in-law after God killed her husband for no apparent reason. However, "whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother." God killed him for this. (Genesis 38:9).
- Onan's father, Judah, propositions his twice-widowed daughter-in-law after not recognizing her and mistaking her for a prostitute. She accepts, becomes pregnant, and has twins. (Genesis 38:13-30).
- ". . . you will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you." (Deuteronomy 28:53-57).
- "So we cooked my son and ate him." (2 Kings 6:29).
- "So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night . . . " She later died and was dismembered by her companion. (Judges 19:25).
These books should be among the first to go. However, because I abhor any form of censorship, as Roseanne Rosannadanna would say, "Never mind."
John L. Ferri