Louis Leroy, Stockbridge

     Full blood, father's name: Frank Leroy, from Gresham West, WI.  Louis arrived March 30, 1899 and departed November 22, 1899 by running away.  He was five feet, 9 inches and weighed 160 pounds.  At age 19, he reenrolled (January 25, 1900) and ran away again June 9, 1900. The following year, January 13, 1901 Louis once again enrolled in the Carlisle Indian School and departed December 1st.  At the time of his first arrival in 1899 he was placed in grade 8 and was in training to become a blacksmith.  By the time of final departure he had moved up to grade 9.  By 1910, Louis Leroy was living in Gresham and playing baseball with a St. Paul baseball team.  His sister Lucinda attended the Carlisle Indian School.

Lucinda Leroy, Stockbridge.

     Lucinda was 1/2 Stockbridge. Her father, Frank and mother (name unknown) were both living at the time of her arrival January 12, 1901.  She was placed in grade 3 having already had 50 months previous schooling.  Lucinda was 17 years old at the time of her arrival.  She left Carlisle September 4, 1906 and by 1913 was married to Peter Tebeau.  They lived in Neo Pit, WI.

These two abstracts come from the National Archives (NARA) file 1327 of Record Group 75 and are made available courtesy of Genevieve Bell.

Excerpts from Newspapers found in the collections of US MHI, Carlisle PA:

             -FROM THE-
 Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.

 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, April 7, 1899  NUMBER 24
   Lewis LeRoy, of Stockbridge, Wisconsin, has joined the forces at Carlisle as a student.  He is a baseball player and a lover of athletic sports in general.  He starts in  No. 9.

 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, May 5, 1899  NUMBER 28
  Bucknell, who defeated our boys on the 22nd of April has this to say in the Orange and Blue about the playing of the Indian team:
  The Indians have a crack base ball team.  They play fast, snappy ball, and Bucknell can justly feel proud of their victory.
  LeRoy, the little Indian pitched a good game for the red men, and the work of the two Millers was of the sensational order.

 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, May 26, 1899  NUMBER 31
  Our baseball boys, owing in various reasons, have not played what might be called ball this season until Tuesday afternoon, when Dickinson came out to "practice" a little with them.  Although our pitcher had a lame arm and the boys were far from good condition owing to vaccinated arms they made the Dickinsonians breathe a little rapidly.  Dickinson had first bat, and received no mark on the score sheet except a round little naught, then the Indians to keep things even did the same thing.  For four innings the Dickinsonians labored hard to score, but could not make it, while the Indians scored one in the third and one in the fourth inning.  Then by a costly error, our boys allowed them a run while in the same innings we won nothing.  Then in the seventh each made another cipher; so at the beginning of the eighth the score was exactly tie and playing seemed about even while excitement on the bleachers was at the high-water mark.  Our pitcher, Louis LeRoy, gave out, and we had no man to take his place who had had practice, so the Dickinsonians were given bases on balls, which told against us.  They got another run in the eighth inning while we received no more, which made the score 3 to 2 in favor of Dickinson.  We will given them another "practice" game on Decoration Day on the College field.  Our boy's arms are still sore, but they will do their best.
Dickinson . . . . . . 000011010 . . . 3
Indian  . . . . . . . 001100000 . . . 2

  Charles Roberts did fine catching on Tuesday.  Captain Miller played a star game.  Caleb Sickles took LeRoy's place, and it being his first effort in the box with the first team he threw a little wildly at the beginning, but Sickles bids fair of making a fine left-handed pitcher.

 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, June 2, 1899  NUMBER 32
  It will be remembered that the HELPER stated last week that our boys would try to give the Dickinson team a good practice game on Decoration Day on their grounds.  That we did so will be evidenced by the following score:
  Dickinson . . . . . 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 - 2
  Indians . . . . . . 0 0 0 0 1 4 0 1 x - 6
  It is said that the Dickinsonians looked at close of game as though a cyclone had struck their rooters and that the players had all been invited to a funeral.  Two large dogs did their part in rooting, however.  It was a find game.  LeRoy as pitcher and Roberts as catcher make a fine combination.

 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, August 4, 1899  NUMBER 41
 Genus Baird and Jacob Horne have joined the boys at Beacon-by-the-sea, while Frank Beale has gone to take Louis LeRoy's place in the country the latter having come back to the school.

  February 2, 1900
   Louis LeRoy is with us again.  He has had many and varied experiences since he left Carlisle last year, and is now ready to settle down to steady, hard work and study.