Off-site Local :
Brilliant Cut Glass
"Cut glass, which is simply blown or pressed glass ground upon a wheel, goes back at least to ancient Rome." However, "there is no proof that any cut glass was made in England before the beginning of the 18th century.
Many of the glass cutters employed in American factories originally came from Europe, ... and influenced the designs produced in America until 1880." Jim Havens provides an excellent
Guide to American Cut and Engraved Glassware
"The earliest cut and engraved glass produced in America was probably manufactured (during the last half of the 18th century) at Henry Williams Stiegel's glass factory in Manheim, Pennsylvania., and the works established in Fredericktown, MD by John Frederick Amelung.
....In 1882, Phillip McDonald designed the 'Russian' pattern for T.G. Hawkes & Co, and from this point on American cut glasswares became richer in both design and quality." It is often referred to as the American Brilliant Period (ABP) (c1875-c1920).
"The cutting of glass gives expression to one of the essential qualities of this material, namely, its inherent brilliancy. To produce an article of cut crystal glass, the first step was to mark the pattern on the blank.
The cutting was done on stone or steel wheel, upon which carborumdum, sand, or some other abrasive dripped from a funnel-shaped hopper situated just above the cutting wheel.
...It must then be polished on wooden wheels with rouge or some similar polishing agent". About 1890, the final polishing was accomplished by dipping them in an acid bath. This was cheaper and quicker, and more healthful for the workmen.
"The American cut glass industry took great pride in their products and every effort was bent to make American Cut Glass the finest cut crystal in the world."
Note: These quotes and information were taken from Revi(1):
Click on Photos to view larger image
Local Cut Glass Information
Many Cut Glass companies were located in the Honesdale area of Pennsylvania. The following information is taken from Revi(1)
- Dorflinger Glass Museum
This collection of original brilliant cut glass is from the Dorflinger Glass Co. is located
located on Long Ridge Rd in White Mills on Rt 6 north of Hawley, Pennsylvania.
Christian Dorflinger established the Dorflinger Glass Works company in 1862. It was one of the top quality companies of the era, and his glass was used
by several Presidents. The collection ranges from the very rare colored(cut-to
clear) crystal hand carved glass to the techniques of the lost art of cut glass.
- T. B. Clark & Co.
- "In 1884, Thomas Byron Clark established a cut glass factory in Seelyville. The last design pattern for cut glass issued to this company was registered on January 15, 1924."(1)
- Luzerne Cut Glass Co
- The factory was located on Delaware Avenue in West Pittston. It was operated by O.S. Atterholt, and it closed around 1930
- Lackawanna Cut Glass Company
- Established In 1900 in Scranton, PA, as a sub T. B. Clark & Co. and closed 1905.
Krantz & Smith Co
- In 1893, John Krantz and John Smith established a glass cutting shop on the second floor of Wyman Kimble's factory at the foot of West 12th St in Honesdale. The factory was destroyed by fire in 1932.
- Gibbs, Kelly & Co / Barryville Cut Glass Shop
- William Gibbs and Michael Kelly opened a glass cutting shop in the W.W. Weston Building on Race St. in Honesdale. It moved to Hawley in 1909. It was in operation as of 1918.
- Union Cut Glass Co
- "The factory was located on the corner of West 13th and Spring St (now Westside Ave) in Honesdale, and that company afterward became the Irving Cut Glass Co and relocated at the foot of East Park St."(1)
- Irving Cut Glass Co.
- The factory was established in 1900 on West 13th St (now Westside Ave), but moved to Park St, where it continued to operate until the early 1930's.
- Herbeck-Demer Co.
- It was active in Honesdale from about 1904 to 1911, when Demer brothers formed their own company in Hallstead. It closed in 1918.
- McKanna Cut Glass Co.
- The factory was established on 1906 at 1008 Mains St in Honesdale, and continued to operate until 1927.
- Crystal Cut Glass Co
- The factory was located at the foot of West 14th Street in the former Kelly & Steinman Factory. It was operated by Dr. Pierson B. Peterson from approx. 1913 to 1918
- Wayne Cut Glass Co.
- The factory was established on 1905 at East Park St. in Honesdale. Another factory was opened in Towanda in 1910 at the corner of Main and Elizabeth Streets. The company continued to operate until at least 1920.
- John S. Connor - American Rich Cut Glass Co.
- "In 1890, John Sarsfield O'Connor erected a ...cutting factory at the foot of Wallenpaupack Falls in Hawley. It was eventually sold to Maple City Glass Co."(1) in 1919.
Maple City Glass Co.
- Established 1898 in Seelyville, as a sub T. B. Clark & Co, and moved to former John S. Connor site 1902. It closed 1911
- Keystone Cut Glass Co - Wall & Murphy
- In 1902, the Keystone Cut Glass Co was formed in 1902 in Hawley, and closed in 1918
- Clinton / Elite Cut Glass Co.
- Charles C. Wilmarth founded the Clinton Cut Glass Co in 1905 in the village of Aldenville ( on Rt 170 between Rt371 and Rt 652 north of Honesdale) on the Lackawaxen River near a dam , which provided the power to turn the cutting wheels. It was sold to Elite Cut Glass Manufacturing Co in 1918, which continued to operate until 1924
- Pioneer Cut Glass Co.
- The company was formed in 1905 by Andrew Mitchell Jr. in Carbondale, and closed in the 1930's
- Becker & Wilson / Mahon & Wilson
- The factory was established in 1903 in Montrose, and continued to operate for 15 or 20 years.
- Tunkahannock Glass Co
- They operated a cutting shop in Tunkannock from 1894-1906
- Ryon Cut Glass co
- The company was formed before the turn of the century, but was incorporated in 1903 in the town of Lawrenceville (near Moosic). It continued to operate until 1913.
- Stage-Kashins Cut Glass Co.
- The factory was established in 1911 on Mechanic St in Lawrenceville, and continued to operate until the early 1920's
- Taylor Bros. & Co.
- The factory was established in 1902 on 928 North Camac St., Philadelphia, and went out of business in 1910
Cut Glass Links for Info only - Not an endorsement
General Glass Information - Not Necessarily Cut
(1)American Cut and Engraved Glass, Albert Christian Revi, Thomas Nelson Inc, Nashville, TN / New York, NY © 1965 ISBN 0-8407-4304-1